The history of Christiani & Nielsen Thailand
Rare opportunity to meet the management team from the former Danish Christiani & Nielsen Company on their history through five reigns of kings in Siam and Thailand – and new member of the Danish – Thai Chamber of Commerce.
Come and experience a piece of Danish history and adventures in Thailand with Christiani & Nielsen (Thailand) at The Admiral’s @24 on Thursday 17 November 2017. It is difficult to go anywhere in Bangkok without meeting a piece of Danish engineering as the construction landmarks of C&N is everywhere in the city.
Christiani & Nielsen (Siam) Ltd. was established on 28 February 1930. Since then the company has completed almost 2,000 construction projects in Thailand and internationally for both Government and Private Sectors.
Christiani & Nielsen was established by Rudolf Christiani, a Danish civil engineer, and Aage Nielsen, a Captain in the Royal Danish Navy, in Copenhagen in 1904 to build bridges, marine works, and other reinforced concrete structures. It soon established a branch in Hamburg, and after World War I, extended its operations to the United Kingdom, South America, Australia, and Africa.
Today Christiani & Nielsen are a leading construction company in Thailand providing a wide range of services including design and construction of building and civil engineering projects, design, fabrication and erection of steel structures and mechanical and electrical installations.
In December 1992 it completed a reverse takeover of its publicly listed Danish parent company, the first such transaction in Thai business history.
Thammasat Stadium which was built for the 1998 Asian Games by construction firm Christiani and Nielsen, the same company that constructed the Democracy Monument in 1939 Bangkok.
Amtmand Hoppes bridge crossing Gudenåen Stream at Langå – the first road bridge ever in Denmark constructed using re-enforced concrete in 1905. Construction price was 16,000 Danish Kroner which were awarded to Christiani & Nielsen Engineering Company. Rudolf Christiani’s teacher and master in France, Francois Hennebique, tought him this new technique to perfection.
The bridge provided access to the railway station across the stream instead of using a boat service. The bridge is now regarded as a conserved national heritage.